The role of a woman? Once defined as a bearer of the next heir to the throne, then defined as a perfect pin up with hair in place and a kept home. Broke free as independent with rights and abilities only to find a role of expectations. We came so far in a world of feminism that we now have to fight with our identity to just be, a woman. We feel inadequate as a mom, as a house wife, as a woman who supports her man. We feel inadequate if we have not made it to the top, inadequate if we do not have a career a goal, if we cannot do what men can do. We are equal, correct? Anything you can do I can do better... right? Why can we not just be a support to our partner, our partner who happens to be a man. A man of strength, a man who sets the path, makes the plans, leads us. Why? Is it really our struggle in the "we can do it" way of thinking; or is it, that our men have forgotten how to be men and therefore we are forced now, to consume both roles.
I, am a woman who works in the field of men and can keep up. Yet I am a woman who can cook and clean and enjoys the idea of being a man's wife and a child's mother. I am also a woman who has many career opportunities set in front of her. Do I pick a role, do I pick one, do I pick all. Am I discouraged if I cannot wear all shoes, am I lame if I choose to wear no shoes. What if all I want is to be a mom. What if all I want is to play in the field of men. What if all I want is to choose a career that takes me away from all that is domestic. What if all I want, is all?
I look to Oprah, Joan of Ark, Mother Teresa. What about Eve, Ruth and Jezebel. All these woman of influence, hundreds of years ago or decades ago. Are they really our role models? Should we really strive to be any of these woman or should we begin to embrace the woman that we are. The more we strive to be these woman of great influence the more we fail. This, then, should be when we don't strive to be any woman, other than the women that God created us to be. The minute we begin to see that God has created us, women, in his image. Women for this world; this minute when we begin to embrace our significance in this world, regardless of the outward role we take. The minute we see Him, that is when we begin to see us. Our significance, our beauty, our grace, our power, our strength; our image, in Him the creator. That minute, is when we win. No, this is not a game we play with others, this is not a game at all. This is a battle, a war of sort, with ourselves, with our image. This is not a game, it is us, you and I, women; and we are something worth fighting for...
No comments:
Post a Comment